4/09/2007

Blank Sheet of Paper

Among all the messages and commentaries that celebrate Easter, the most eloquent for me came from the mouth of a special child.

Although James was ten years old, he was still in kindergarten. And even in that class, James was not at par with his classmates. His motor skills and speech were way below those of children four years his junior.

That week, James’ teacher spoke to the class about Easter and what it means to Christians. "Jesus rose from the grave," she said. "The only Leader in all the world who did so. He is risen. He lives." She also spoke of eggs, bunnies, the naked cross, and all the symbols of Easter familiar to the children.

At the end of that week, she asked her class to draw anything they can remember about their lesson on Easter. She gave them each a blank sheet of paper.

Everyone went to work with excitement. Except James. He just sat there and stared at the piece of paper.

“C’mon, James, draw something,” the teacher coaxed him. But James wouldn't move. After an hour, the teacher asked the children to explain what they had drawn on their papers.

“Eggs!” one said. “My brother and I go egg-hunting on Easter.”

“Easter bunny!” another said. “It hops!”

"Flowers." "Church." "Jesus." "Cross." "More eggs." And the answers went on and on.

After everyone had explained his drawing, the children all looked at James who remained totally still and quiet. The teacher, concerned that James might be embarrassed, tried to make excuses for him, "Well, class, James doesn’t feel like drawing today-"

James raised his paper and said haltingly, “T-this is Je-sus’ t-tomb. Th-there’s n-nothing there b-because Jesus is n-not d-dead. H-he’s alive!”

What could the teacher say? Nothing more. Nothing less.


Let me end this post with “He Lives,” an old Easter Hymn:

I serve a risen Savior, He’s in the world today;
I know that He is living, whatever men may say;
I see His hand of mercy, I hear His voice of cheer,
And just the time I need Him, He’s always near.

He lives, He lives, Christ Jesus lives today!
He walks with me and talks with me along life’s narrow way.
He lives, He lives, salvation to impart!
You ask me how I know He lives?
He lives within my heart. 

Photo by:  photos8.org

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hallelujah Grace!!!
Praise the Lord. You did it again. This is a tear-jerking story. I can not help but tears drops from my eyes when James raised his paper and said haltingly, “T-this is Je-sus’ t-tomb. Th-there’s n-nothing there b-because Jesus is n-not d-dead. H-he’s alive!”
He is Risen. Happy Easter again.

Grace D. Chong said...

Dear Anonymous,

Sometimes the world underestimates the depth of special children. But often, only they can express what normal human beings can't. I call James' comment true and pure, coming straight from the One who rose from the grave--for you and me.

Again, thanks for dropping by.

Passionate Eater said...

Thanks for this inspirational story about the true meaning of Easter--not the eggs or the bunnies, but the risen Lord.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ms. Grace,

We see each other regularly, but i never got the chance to tell you how much you inspire me. Your blog spot moves me and infact, has become a great deal of my habbit. Sa totoo lang, you're site gives me more reason to look at life in a different perspective. Good news, i started writing na! The lenten week posed a perfect time. And, inspired by your "Gifts of Grace", i started with something closest to my heart. My family history. Haven't finished it yet though, and still has a long long way to go. But i had so much fun tracing back memory lane. It was a splendid and reflective moment. Thanks so much. You truly are an inspiration, a real grace from the heaven.

Ferdie

Frederick Delubiar Raz said...

a very touching story.. the story touched me and made me realize the importance of easter..

thank you for inspiring me..

Grace D. Chong said...

Dear Passionate Eater,

I was way up north in the country over the last few days and whenever I am served exotic food, I think of the delectable photos in your blog. Late though it may be, Happy Easter, too!

Grace D. Chong said...

My dear Ferdie,

You have a great idea for a first piece. Keep at it. I hope I will be privileged to read the first draft. I am deeply touched that you are inspired by "Gifts of Grace." Thank you...

Grace D. Chong said...

Dear Fred,

Late though it may be, Happy Easter! I hope I still get to see you next term, if not in the classroom, in the library (?) Thanks for the visit!