10/09/2007

Delete God

I was deeply disturbed by a news report I read a few weeks ago. I tried writing about it but got stuck in midstream.                                                

“SAN FRANCISCO —A federal judge ruled Wednesday that reciting the Pledge of Allegiance in public schools was unconstitutional. U.S. District Judge Lawrence Karlton ruled that the pledge's reference to one nation ‘under God’ violates school children's right to be ‘free from a coercive requirement to affirm God.’ The judge has granted legal standing to two families represented by an atheist. . .”

Weeks later, more chilling news:

“Some Boulder High School students protested Thursday over having to recite the Pledge of Allegiance at the beginning of each school day. More than 50 students took part in the morning protest in the school courtyard. The students are upset that the pledge includes the words 'under God.'

"An alternate pledge written by senior Emma Martens was read to the crowd of students in the courtyard. Her pledge says, 'I pledge allegiance to the flag and my constitutional rights with which it comes. And to the diversity, in which our nation stands, one nation, part of one planet, with liberty, freedom, choice and justice for all.'

"The courtyard protest was held at 8:30 a.m., the same time the Pledge of Allegiance was read over the school's loudspeakers."

Slowly but surely, God is being deleted from US Society. This same society has initiated the usage of “Happy Holidays” (which has become politically correct) instead of “Merry Christmas.” Delete the reason for the celebration?

Reviewing my Bible, Psalm 14:1 (ESV) reads, “. . . The fool says in his heart, ‘There is no God.’ They are corrupt, they do abominable deeds, there is none who does good.”

Leafing through to the New Testament, Romans 14:11, “As I live, says the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God."

But then, I can’t use the Bible as an argument, can I? If one doesn’t believe in the Bible as the Word of God, then the hypothesis is moot.

Growing up, I was always reminded by my parents to never get into an argument over two topics: politics and religion. “Nobody wins.” Well, this isn’t about winning, and not about religion either. It is about belief in God—faith. And the reward is life eternal by grace alone.

It cannot be argued.

(Photos by Getty Images)

4 comments:

Gypsy said...

Amen! We are indeed in a sad state...been reading about postmodernity and relativism in my course. It seems like things are gonna get worse before it gets better.

PS. I've tagged you, please hop over my blog!

Sherry said...

You are so right!

Grace D. Chong said...

Dear Gypsy,

How nice to hear "hello" all the way from United Kingdom! Have you had time to chat with the queen yet?

Your room is so comforting it looks like it's a home away from home.

Now about being tagged -- I need the help of my techie sons, badly. They are making me wait till they can spare some precious minutes for their befuddled mom.

Grace D. Chong said...

Dear Sherry,

Thanks for the affirmation. Thanks, too, for dropping by.