6/02/2009

Two Generations of Fans


I have always valued the opinions of former Associate Justice of the Supreme Court, Isagani A. Cruz. He is a legal luminary with formidable credentials.

Okay, I am a fan.

So when I see him and his wife walking into the restaurant where Tony and I are having lunch, the only thing that comes to my mind is to have a photo with him.

“You can't do that to a Justice,” Tony says while slurping his Peking duck soup. “Give dignity to the profession,” he adds.

I ponder that. Sometimes Tony has a point.

Then from the door, a young mother and a girl about five rush to our direction. “You're Ms. Grace D. Chong, aren't you?” she asks. “My daughter is a fan of yours. She loves your books! In fact, we’re trying to complete our collection. May I take your picture with my daughter?”

“Sure, my pleasure!” I say, inviting the little girl to sit beside me. Her pretty little face beams. And I mutter, there is dignity in this!             


After a few exchanges with the little girl, her mother says, “Okay, say good-bye to Ms. Chong.” Then they join the table of—Isagani A. Cruz! They both give the famous man a buss on the cheek, signifying he is the father and grandfather of both, respectively.

As soon as we pay our bill, I walk over to their table to say good-bye to the little girl, and say “Hi” to her grandfather.

While I talk to Isagani A. Cruz, Tony blurts out from behind me, “Justice Cruz, may I take your picture with my wife? She is a fan of yours.”

“Why yes!” his wife eagerly replies. And like the gentleman that he is, the Justice stands up and gamely poses for our photo.


The young mother and her daughter light up and explain to the Justice who I am.

There is sunshine in my steps as Tony and I walk out of the restaurant, ever thankful for walk-in grace.

But I wanted to have the last laugh, “There's always dignity in a photo op, isn't there?”

Tony deadpans, “I took your picture, didn't I?”

Sometimes he has a point.

4 comments:

MelB said...

How cool is that! Great post.

Grace D. Chong said...

I was thrilled like a little girl!

Gypsy said...

Waaaa!! Ate Grace!! Galing ni God mag-orhcestrate ng events no? I'm back to blogging na, by the way...:)

Grace D. Chong said...

Yup, everything fell into place! Welcome back, Gypsy!