8/16/2009

My Friend "Tito Dok"


Tito Dok (translation: Uncle Doctor) is a pediatrician. But that’s not how I came to know him.

He became a good friend because he is a writer (long before I became one)—one for whom I reserve the highest of esteem, and through whom I receive large doses of grace.

Because I came into writing late in my life, he always finds time to give me tips and affirm what I do, probably vicariously experiencing his beginning years as a weaver of stories. In my latest book, I wrote that he is “my rah-rah squad of one.”

Tito Dok is a Palanca Hall of Fame Awardee. Meaning, he has won five first prizes. He was also one of TOYM (Ten Outstanding Young Men of the Philippines) awardees a few years ago, on top of all the slew of other prizes he has received in various writing competitions (his Filipino prose is lyrical and distinctive).

If you need proof, simply google Tito Dok or ask any kid who he is. His over thirty children’s books are delighting kids in all areas of the country.

Tito Dok translated my book, No Lipstick for Mother, into Filipino. I translated his book, Sandosenang Sapatos, into English.

One Saturday afternoon, Tito Dok and I met up to shoot a video for our mutual publisher, Hiyas (an imprint of OMF Literature). One of the scenes was the bookstore where both our books are displayed side by side. A camera bug, Tito Dok took hundreds of photos between takes. Here are my two favorites:


P.S.
As of this writing, Tito Dok has received yet another prestigious award: Gawad Dangal ng Filipino (translation: Filipino Language Award of Honor).

No comments: