6/14/2010

Adrian on My Mind

This little three-year-old tyke is still on my mind, almost one month after he and his parents flew back to Grand Rapids, Michigan.

We had him for nine days (four days and three nights, all to ourselves) and what footprints he left behind! I could still hear the pitter-patter of little feet; squeals of delight; shrieks of giggles; hissing of Ironman; swishing of Spiderman; soaring of Superman; and one-liners in Midwest twang.

While his parents were on vacation in Batanes, Adrian was the center of our world. Tony took a three-day leave from work and I locked my computer. At first we were anxious—what if he cried non-stop looking for his parents?​ What if he got sick? What if, what if?

We need not have worried. He was a big little man. It was as though we had an adult guest, not a baby. He'd wake up with big smiles, climb out of his crib and walk around the house greeting everyone, "Good morning!" Then he'd run to the garden where Attorney's cage is and chirp, "Good morning, Attorney!" He made no demands; just asked questions.

"Are you taking me to a toy store?"

"Yes, Adrian."

"Are we going to the carnival?"

"Yes, Adrian."

"May I have some ice cream? Watch TV please? Can we go pasyal? Carry me? Can I wear my Spiderman costume?"

"Yes. Yes.Yes."

We left "no" in the freezer.

Then one morning, while having noodles in the terrace, he asked nonchalantly, without looking at me, "Where is my papa and mama?"

"In the office," was my quick reply. It was a script written by his parents.

And then, even more nonchalantly, he asked, "Are they coming back?"

"Of course," I shrugged.

"I'll hug them then," he said and took another spoonful of noodles. He never asked again, but he repeatedly asked for noodles.

Once, Tony spoke to JR and me in Filipino so Adrian wouldn't understand (he was busy watching Elmo on TV). "Have you heard how Adrian says, Grand Rapids? Exactly how Americans say it: Grend Re-pids! Just listen to him." Tony then asked Adrian, "Hey Adrian, where do you live?"

Adrian smiled mischievously and said, "Peelipins." Exactly how Filipinos say it.

To this day, Tony and I wonder about those three nights and four days with our solo guest. Who was regaling whom?

Confident, considerate, affectionate, and careful not to give any trouble, he neither whined nor cried. He ate, he napped, he conversed, he asked to be taken to the toilet, listened to our bedtime stories, and went to bed on time.

He even conducted a meeting among Tony's staff in the office, casting each one in a superhero role. When everyone was seated around the conference table, he announced, "Super friends, you are all invited to my birthday party! When I am four."

When he turns four, he will be back. I wonder what surprises of grace our Father will throw our way when Adrian comes again.

Till then, God carries him in His loving arms. Till then, Adrian is on my mind.

4 comments:

lucy bigornia said...

welcome to grandparenthood! i'm a veteran. adrian's amazing! he was really like that, huh?

Grace D. Chong said...

Like this and that. Amazing indeed! I was so afraid he would fret and give us a hard time when his parents were away, but he was a honey.

Yay Padua-Olmedo said...

Wow, a real "big" boy. Cute grandson, Grace. And a gentleman!
How ice it it is to be wowa.

Grace D. Chong said...

From one wowa to another--cheers!