3/08/2011

Where the Action Was

To reading advocates, one of the most delightful habits anyone could ever have is, reading. That's why I often write about it.

We've read in our history books that Gen. Douglas McArthur (World War II) left the Philippines for the USA, but vowed, "I shall return."

On October 20, 1944, he indeed returned and landed in Palo, Leyte to lead the drive against the Japanese forces.

When I read about this in my own history textbook as a little girl, I imagined how this dramatic coming back was like.

The many photos showing Gen. MacArthur and his team when he marched through the sea water to the shore, in full uniform, paled in comparison with the photos in my mind.

Yes, any book (which allows one's imagination to enter every impenetrable wall, including the characters' mind) is exceedingly better than any movie version.

Now how about if you saw the real thing? I mean, saw something you've only read about in textbooks, imagined, seen in photos, and re-enacted in movies?

I had that one-of-a-kind experience recently.

I was at the spot where Gen. McArthur landed to fulfill his promise, "I Shall Return."

Approaching the place, I could see giant bronze statues. They looked exactly like the photos I'd seen as a little girl. But as soon as we got close to the giants, I started gasping.

They are huge (much larger than the giants in my imagination), and because they are three-dimensional, they look almost in motion!

I am sharing with you (below) one of the dozens of photos I took.
 
Reading, as I keep saying, is a wonderful thing. But, then, when you get the chance to be at the same spot where people, places, and events you've only read about actually are, it's grace beyond imagination.
(Excerpted from my column, "Big Little People,"  The Freeman, February 17, 2011 issue.)

Oh, to be in places where Jesus walked! 

2 comments:

dOnnaMaE said...

Now I just can't imagine how it feels to walk in Israel and walk through the same land where Jesus walked, see Calvary where He was Crucified, see the Red sea and imagine it parting.:)

Grace D. Chong said...

Mind boggling, isn't it?