2/26/2014

Peace like a River

(My internet connection has been dead for four days and I am steaming because I have a deadline to meet. Bad. I am trying to remember wonderful times of peace to keep my mind off the heat.) 

My mother used to sing “It Is Well with My Soul” while doing house chores.  I asked her once why she loved the hymn so much. She told me this story:

“It was written by Horatio Spafford in the 1800s after a series of misfortunes in his life. His property was gutted in a fire, his business was affected by the country’s economy, and all his four children perished at sea when their ship sunk. He wrote these words near the spot at sea where his daughters had died.”

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll—
Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say,
It is well, it is well with my soul.


What beautiful words of faith! How can anyone say “It is well with my soul” at the toughest of time of his life?  Only by grace. Sola gracia.

Thank You for coming to my rescue during tough times, Lord. Give me peace like a river. Amen.

“Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.”  Philippians 4:7 (NLT)

Photo credit

No comments: