Here is a letter a father received from one of his children. He keeps this in a special place in his heart, treasuring it more than anything he ever owned.
How do I love thee? Let me count the stars. You’re a five-star dad! Thank you for the five important stars you bequeathed to me, now shining brightly to light my way . . .
1. The star of priority – to love God more than anyone or anything
2. The star of a clean and unsullied life – to never let my guard down when temptations come
3. The star of courage – to make tough decisions and to stand up for what is right
4. The star of discernment – to choose with whom to hang out; and what new ideas to trash or treasure
5. The star of fortitude – to move on despite disappointments and difficulties
I thank God that you are my father. On Father’s Day, dinner’s on me in a five-star hotel, no less. Would you be free?
Larry (not his real name)
To all dads reading this, Happy Father’s Day!
“Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.” Proverbs 22:6 (NKJV)
(This is the last in a series of four blogs leading to Father's Day in gratitude to our heavenly Father for the grace of dads in our midst.)