7/30/2026

A Long and Winding Road to 10K

When I turned 80, I did a happy dance while reading this:  

"Under the Expanded Centenarians Act, Filipinos aged 80 and above receive a one-time cash gift of ₱10,000 every five years upon reaching the milestone ages of 80, 85, 90, and 95. When they reach 100 years old, they receive a centennial cash gift of ₱100,000."

Easy peasy. Or so I thought.

First, the tedious application process at the Barangay Hall. Requirements: photos in all angles, birth certificate form the Philippine Statistics Authority, three government IDs, a long form to fill out.  It took a month of back-and-forth trips to different government offices.

Sam, son #3’s driver, was a blessing. But I worried about the hundreds of others who didn’t have a Sam. Those in wheelchairs with tired caregivers. Those with weak knees but had to ride tricycles and jeepneys.

Second, the long, silent waiting. “We’ll call you,” a clerk said. She did after two months  with more requirements, “You also need to submit . . .” 

Third, the urgent call one year later, just before my 81st birthday. “Come to the Barangay Hall tomorrow.” I was close to drooling. Finally! The queue was longer than the San Juanico bridge. I waited for an hour, only to be given a small piece of paper with my name on it and a table number. 

“Bring this to the gym tomorrow for the distribution of the 10k.”

Fourth, the 10K extravaganza.  The gym was dressed up to the max, like a venue for a grand miting de avance--complete audio-video equipment, wel-dressed usherettes, a stage with a backdrop, where the mayor spoke in a language that could rivet everyone, including street bystanders. To say it was patronizing is an understatement. It was to ferret out gratitude from the over 700 80-year-old-and-above audience. 

A singing duo, a dancing couple, a karaoke singer, etc. prolonged the waiting. Then, at last, after 2.45 hours of numb digits, aching back, and stiff neck, my decrepit hands held the precious 10K.

But hey, this is a blog on grace. It took a one-year-long-and-winding road, but it came. Still grateful.  

No comments: