8/27/2026

The Green light of Writing

Q: “Throughout your writing career, what has been the most fulfilling part?”

This question follows me like a shadow wherever I am asked to speak about my now 26-year journey as an author since I left the workplace for good. It was an unsettling early retirement, but it finally gave me the chance to pivot to my first love: creative writing.  

After my first book was published, it has felt like I am on a road with a series of green lights. Non-stop. With writing comes book talks, where I am often asked that question.

My last book talk was with literature students in one university, where a magazine was a school requirement. They asked me that same question. 
 
A: "Feedback from readers," I replied. "Without it, I don’t know how a writer can keep driving." 

Feedback breaks the isolation of writing, validates creative effort, and proves that words resonate with others.

Knowing that my book, or a part of it, made someone laugh, cry, or think deeply shows that the intent landed. Encouraging words chase away an author’s fear that the book is pointless.
      
 Feedback redirects writing from a one-way lane to a two-way traffic that signals comings and goings, greetings and goodbyes, like human dialogue.     
Words of affirmation from readers are a green light, reminding me to never hit the brakes in writing.   

No comments:

Post a Comment