7/29/2008

Mamma Mia!

Nobody could have predicted that Abba’s timeless songs would create a phenomenon years after their heyday. When Mamma Mia! (based on Abba’s tunes) premiered at the West End on April 6, 1999, it became the biggest smash hit musical in almost 20 years!

And wonder of wonders, I happen to have a CD of the original cast recording.

I  plead guilty to one vice—collecting original cast recording of stage musicals (either Broadway or the West End, depending where the musical was first staged). To date, I have close to 300 CD’s, a lot of which are gifts from Minna, my best cousin who lives in New York. I think it’s apt to call her now Minna Mia!

When Minna Mia! learned of my collection years ago, she’d send me the latest musicals through friends who’d fly in to the Philippines. Over the years she’s also been sending via balikbayan (back-to-the-country) boxes or cart them herself.

So five years after its premier, Mamma Mia! became the world’s no. 1 musical show, with more productions playing simultaneously worldwide than any other.

And now Mamma Mia! the movie. The musical arrangement is so much more spirited, more vibrant, more unpredictable than my CD’s. The storytelling and musical numbers are fast-paced, like an MTV, lighthearted and oftentimes deliciously silly. The movie doesn’t take itself seriously and neither do the excellent cast. Meryl Streep, Pierce Brosnan and the rest amuse, tickle, and cheer. The movement is fluid, constant and bursting with energy.

Abba’s music! It’s perfect on a fantasy Greek Island, where the movie takes place.

Unfortunately, there was only one other couple (aside from Tony and me) in the movie house at the last full show. Humanity missed half of its life; but two couples had the whole theater all to themselves to sing and dance in their seats. It was a raucous night.

Mental note: I should buy the movie soundtrack recording. 

Then surprise, surprise, my friend Lucy from Palm Springs, California (Lucy Mia!) hears my thoughts and sends me the soundtrack.

Grace, grace, it’s everywhere.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I've always wanted to see the musical. I just never got the chance. I'm really looking forward to the movie. It's on my to see list.

Grace D. Chong said...

Hi, Michelle,

Do so -- soon. While in the theater, don't forget to sing and dance!