The second half of our clan's (over 300 at last count; half is scattered all over the world) 75th annual reunion was indeed a celebration (panagrambac) of a different kind.
After being zapped back to the launch pad for this tradition (laglagip or memories) in Pangasinan, our long motorcade led us to a resort in a nearby town where fun and laughter took on lives of their own.
Sports, games, swimming, ukulele jamming, talent show, sub-clan presentations, bidding ala Sotheby’s, rummage sale, raffles, prizes, and kunol-kunol (bonding) came one after the other, or crammed simultaneously. It was as though time was running out.
And the coup de grace! A formal dinner.
Dressed to the nines, we sashayed into a huge, dream-like ballroom richly decked with fresh flowers above, below, and before us; lights dripping from the ceiling and blooming out of vases; a red carpet leading to the stage, and ornate dinnerware. Glitz and glam all the way.
- waited for the year 2019 to end, watching the clock move its way toward midnight for the beginning of 2020;
- held hands in a huge circle to sing our grandparents’ favorite Ilocano folk and gospel songs;
- prayed together as one to thank God for His blessings all through the past year;
- blended our voices in Lutkin’s Benediction—impromptu, yet again in perfect harmony;
- sang this hymn prayerfully together for the 75th time since 1945 -
Blest be the tie that binds
Our hearts in Christian love;
The fellowship of kindred minds
Is like to that above.
- welcomed 2020 with a lusty countdown, tight hugs, and a noisy snake dance.
Before we went our separate ways at noon, the host sub-clan turned over the chairmanship to the next sub-clan. The following reunion will morph into another format, as every single one has been unique, shaped by the hosts-in-charge.
To many of us, this yearly clan reunion is a grace event that can’t be missed. And why not?
“Let us think of ways to motivate one another to acts of love and good works. And let us not neglect our meeting together, as some people do, but encourage one another, especially now that the day of his return is drawing near.” (Hebrews 10:24-25 NLT)
Photo gallery of Panagrambac :
Photo credits: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2118128734969348/