2/11/2011

A Suitcase and Hotel Rooms

I've been living in a suitcase and hotel rooms the past three weeks for book talks and other ministries.  This time, I am in San Mateo, Rizal for what is called a camp, but which is everything but a camp.

Instead of a tent, I am ushered to a spartan but humongous room with a massive bed, and not much else.

As has been my disposition in my travels these days, after being spoiled in the glamorous world of advertising, I am grateful for what is given me—no murmurs, no complaints. I reserve my energy for more important things like taking a rest whenever possible so as not to worsen the cough and cold that has been traveling with me.

I get my nine-hour sleep, but not after watching TV on the shocking suicide of Gen. Angelo Reyes on P-Noy's birthday. What a day!

This is a resort hotel on a minor, rarely traveled road.  It boasts of a 9-wave swimming pool, cottages, and huts not too often seen in Manila.  But they are just items I read on the streamer; all I have time for is a 115-step walk from my room to the conference room (with a wolf whistle from a caged parrot), then to the dining room, then a couple of hours on the internet for unfinished business elsewhere, then back to my room.  

What brought me here?

I have been part of a team that painfully chooses, annually, from among 60 or so high school graduates living in poverty (under the wings of Compassion International), who will be financed in college under a supervised Leadership Development Program.

My six-year term ended last year, but somehow, I was invited again this year to participate in the selection process.

The pace is hectic, yes, but that's not what's difficult. The hard part is asking questions and getting heart-rending answers.  

One after the other, we get stories of child abuse and abandonment, of non-existent meals and troubled sleep, of walking to and from far-away schools, of child labor, of an uncertain college degree, and of sick parents languishing at home because they can't afford medicines or hospital bills.

One after the other, we hear of dreams for a better life—so elusive and illusory.  And yet, being Christians, they have not lost hope in receiving grace from a loving God who understands what they are going through.

Their favorite verse is found in Jeremiah 29:11 (NIV), “'For I know the plans I have for you,'” declares the LORD, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'”

In these interviews, tears flow, and at day's end, one's heart is exhausted, but not too weary to say an impassioned prayer for God to take these kids in His loving arms and let them know they have a future.

If it were up to me, with no cap on funds, I'd choose them all.
 
How ironic that a general who has all the power, money, and everything life has to offer would take his own life; while kids who have nothing will fight all iniquities to survive, so they can honor the life God has given them!

Please visit Compassion International's website and be a prayer warrior for the children under its care.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Ate Grace, thanks for sharing your thoughts and feelings about what we do as NAC. Yes, it's a welcome change for all of us. Going to places like Ciudad Christhia is like having a free vacation. But it's more than a vacation. We get to hear stories that inspire us and move us. These kids have ministered to us more than we've ministered to them. God indeed has a way of broadening our sometimes limited visions. Thank you, Compassion, for sharing this ministry with us. We are privileged to be part of it all.

Grace D. Chong said...

More than I can verbalize, I've learned a lot from you, Pastor Bong; from the kids; from our fellow NACs; from the CMT; and from everyone who is involved actively in this ministry.

Yay Padua-Olmedo said...

Though your schedule is hectic, I'm sure you find it rewarding because of the constant interaction with people. You've really been a blessing to so many people, Grace.

Grace D. Chong said...

God's been providing the strength to travel to all these places, one after the other, and meet new people, too.