4/03/2014

Pity Party

Say “no” when you get invited to a pity party. Stay as far away as possible!   

I got invited to one, and to my forever regret, I accepted.

My husband rushed me to the emergency room one night last week because I was looking and feeling like a disaster victim in the throes of death. Immediately, tubes were strapped on to me and all sorts of needle pricks came at me to find out what had gone haywire in my system.

They found out soon enough—potassium and sodium had dropped to precarious levels—and I had to be confined: the perfect setting for a pity party, with a hospital gown to boot.

In that three-day party, you ask yourself questions: Why me?  What did I do to deserve this? Can I take all this suffering?  Is this the end? You become so self-absorbed you fail to see and grab the grace that hover about for the taking.

I was jolted out of my self-indulgence when I read the messages in my mobile phone: 

The first one came from a friend, asking for prayers. She was due for her first chemo session but didn’t have the money. So she asked her friends to pray that her application for a loan be approved.

The second message came from another friend whose husband had a kidney transplant years ago. He’s ailing again due to organ rejection, and needed immediate cash for hospitalization.  

The third was from our pastor, reminding me of God’s love and power.

While I was wallowing in self-pity, people all around me were likewise fighting their own worse battles. I was not alone, but I chose to be, nursing my fears as though the world conspired to rip me apart.

Pity parties make you forget, “It is the Lord who goes before you. He will be with you; he will not leave you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed.” (Deuteronomy 31:8 ESV)

By the power of His Spirit, I will not attend a pity party again. 

4 comments:

Dave said...

ayna Apo. apay agdidiet ka ngamin? isu nga agbakasyon nga ngarud idiay Umingan into no Holy Week tapno marelax ka. awan traffic, nalinis ti palayupoy ti angin, naulimek, adu ti nalangto nga nateng ken prutas. ala ngaruden managest see you in Umingan.

Grace D. Chong said...

Awan ti dieta-dieta. Adu unay nga relaxationen ta kalkalpas ti escwela. Ngem saan ko pay nga kaya ti agbiyahe ti adayo. Nacapsut ti bagi. He-he.

Yay Padua-Olmedo said...

What's bad is, even if you invite others, no one will come. How boring pity parties are. Am really really glad you're well! The joy of the Lord is your strength.

Grace D. Chong said...

Not too well, yet. I am looking for my missing 5%. Hahaha! The part that solves crossword puzzles and looks forward to shopping.