12/05/2007

Cebu, My Kind of Town

I used to say that Chicago was my kind of town. That was in my salad days when I was a carefree mass communications/art student awed at its sights and sounds. Chicago, for me, was a combination of old-world charm and new-world pizzazz.

It was also the place where I met my husband. But that is another story.

It’s been ages since I revisited Chicago and as they say, out of sight, out of mind.

I have found a worthy replacement: Cebu. This burgeoning city, which, according to market researches, replicates Manila, has been my most frequent destination in the last six years. There I am invited for book talks, book signing, and other activities that mostly have to do with my books.

I am going again—this weekend. Starting Friday, I am scheduled for several activities and talks that end on Sunday morning. The organizers call the Friday do in their poster "A Bunch of Treats."

Despite the growing traffic problem, everything in Cebu is five minutes away. New buildings are sprouting like mushrooms. But the old buildings are kept in good condition, allowing one to enjoy the charm reminiscent of small towns.

There are nooks and crannies boasting of glorious food, nature spas offering half the prize of those in Manila, and flea markets showcasing native arts and crafts at dirt-cheap prices. Most of all, Cebu’s people are warm, extra warm, and welcoming.

Not only do I relish my weekends in Cebu, I also enjoy writing my column entitled “Big Little People” for one of its major newspapers.

With apologies to Frank Sinatra, here’s my version of his song, “My Kind of Town.” By simply changing the word Chicago to Cebu, the song speaks my heart.

This is my kind of town, Cebu is
My kind of town, Cebu is
My kind of people too

People who smile at you

And each time I roam,
Cebu is
Calling me home,
Cebu is
Why I just grin like a clown
Its my kind of town

My kind of town, Cebu is
My kind of town, Cebu is

My kind of razzmatazz
And it has, all that jazz

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Maam Grace, this is Beige the friend of Lynnie you met this am (Sunday at ayala touch point). It is really my pleasure to have met you in person. I bought some of your books God's favorite shape, color and faces and the kid whom i gave the book was really happy. the kid has a down syndrome by the way. Thanks for the wonderful books. God bless you more.

Grace D. Chong said...

Dear Beige,

The privilege was mine! Thank you for the encouraging words and for giving my books to the kid with Down Syndrome. I have a book about a kid with DS and it will be launched in a few months. As soon as I get copies I'll send one through Lynnie and request her to give it to the kid through you. Maybe you can read the story to him/her for me?