9/06/2012

Where Did That Come From?

Fretting over the most horrific traffic that mid morning, I forgot to check my mobile phone. When I finally did, I was surprised to find it bursting with a number of missed calls. 

They all had the same message from different people at OMF Literature who were similarly rejoicing, “Good news! Your book, GRACE FOUND ME, won the Gintong Aklat Award of the Book Development Association of the Philippines (BDAP). We are all very happy here in Publications when we heard the news!”

It was totally unexpected, like snow in the dead heat of summer.

“Where did that come from?” Beng, editor of the book, asked the question I would have asked myself.

Two years ago, my book, “Flying on Broken Wings” (New Day Publishers) was one of five finalists in the same category. The fireworks in my heart are still there, preserved in perpetuity.
And now this!  My heart has suddenly expanded to an indescribable size, trying to contain all the additional blast, bang, and blaze.

BDAP is the largest organization made up of key players in the Philippine book industry. In 1981, it established the Gintong Aklat Awards, given out every other year to outstanding book publishers. 

The awards recognize excellence in the book industry. Its website reads, "Book entries are closely scrutinized by three professional panels in book manufacture and design, writing and editing, and judged for all-around excellence in all aspects of bookmaking."  

The subject categories of the awards are: Literature (English and Filipino), Social Science, Natural Science, Arts and Culture, Inspirational, and Culinary.

OMF Lit has therefore every reason to celebrate. I join them in thanking God for this surprise grace. 

Now, I will tread on something that I don't normally do in my blog: invade privacy and name names.

Meet my partners and dearest friends at OMF Lit, who made the publication of GRACE FOUND ME possible:   

Yna Reyes – publications director
Beng Alba – editor
Karen Huang – back-up editor
Dorothy Joy Q. Cheng – book designer
Jonathan de Vera – artist

Grace found us! 

8 comments:

Yay Padua-Olmedo said...

You're raking in everything, grabe! Congrats, Grace. Grace indeedy!

Grace D. Chong said...

This one's an award for the publisher, Yay. I am privileged to have been a part of the book. Grace Found us.

The Tiger Scribe said...

Grace Chong is Grace Chong. Period. =)

Grace D. Chong said...

But not without grace, JP! Thanks much, you always say the nicest things!

Anonymous said...

When it rains, it pours...Congratulations!!! Barely 2 days have passed and another one!?!
You're the ONE!!!

Grace D. Chong said...

Anonymous, thank you! These are surprises that affirm what we do. I am on my knees in thanksgiving to the Source of grace.

Anonymous said...

I HAD a copy of your book "Grace Found Me" but I gave it to a friend as a birthday gift. Since it is one of my favorites, I decided to give my copy to her.I felt that MAYBE it would be her last birthday coz she had colon CA. She passed away last Monday. I know she was blessed by your book. I just know... Thank you! God is good!

Grace D. Chong said...

Dear anonymous,

I don't know what to say. I am so sorry to hear about the death of your friend. But I am grateful that in some way my book was her conduit to God in her last days. Yes, God is good; His grace never fails, and it always finds us.