6/13/2014

A Salute to Single Dads

Two days from now, on Sunday, many parts of the world will celebrate Father’s Day. I wish to pay a special tribute to all single dads who see to their children’s needs all by themselves. 

Research studies have shown that single moms, wired to be caregivers and multi-taskers, have better coping mechanisms and resilience than single dads. That’s why I have always held singles dads, who do a remarkable job of both dad and mom, in high esteem.

In Oh, Mateo! (illustrated by Beth Parrocha-Doctolero)—a series of 15 books plus a one-year devotional revolving around eight-year-old Mateo—I draw attention to a single dad, Ador. 

A poor farm hand, Mateo’s father lost his wife when Mateo was baby, but he slogs on, works hard, and does his best for his little boy despite dire lack of resources.

Mateo is growing up to be a responsible, happy, and adventurous boy, well-liked in the neighborhood. His father Ador has instilled in him Christian values, the blessings of life, and God’s amazing grace.
 
In Sunday school, Teo and his classmates are asked by their teacher to write a letter to their father on Father’s Day. Here’s Teo’s letter . . .  

Dear Tatay,

You are my superhero. And Apong Cion said that because Nanay is already with Jesus in heaven, you do a super Nanay job, too.  But it is not Mother’s Day, so this is only for F-A-T-H-E-R.       

Thank you very much for . . . 

F – Framing Nanay’s photo so I will always remember her.   

A – Adding coins to my alkansiya. It’s almost half full! 

T – Taking me to Sunday School to learn Bible stories. T is also for the Tree house you built for me.

H – Helping me and my friends make kites. Yey! H is also for my Half of the fresh fruits you bring home. 

E – Explaining why I need to always pray and always read.

R – Rushing home from work when I am sick to give me a sponge bath. R is also for Nanay’s Recipes which you teach me to cook with the secret ingredient.

Happy Father’s Day, Tatay!  Oh, I should greet God, too, right? Because He is the Father of all.  Happy Father’s Day, God!  

Love,
Teo

“The father of godly children has cause for joy. What a pleasure to have children who are wise.” Proverbs 23:24 NLT

May God give all struggling single dads the wisdom and fortitude to raise their children in the way they should go. 

(This post is the 3rd in a series of  blogs leading to Father's Day in gratitude to our heavenly Father for the grace of dads in our midst

Translations:
Tatay
Daddy
Nanay
Mommy
Apong
honorific for an old woman
Alkansiya
piggy bank

No comments: