6/12/2014

Many Dads

Francis (not his real name) was in his mother’s womb when his father died.

“But I grew up having so many father-figures in church,” he tells his friends or anyone he encounters. “Not once have I felt fatherless. Most important of all, I have our Heavenly Father who has been with me from inside the womb to where I am standing today.” 

On Father’s day, Francis gives about a dozen of his surrogate fathers each a token gift to show his appreciation of their support and love.

Unlike Francis, some people struggle with Father's Day—especially those who only have adoptive fathers, those who may be living with stepfathers, or those whose birth fathers have died. 

Jesus’ statement to Mary after His resurrection should encourage those of us who feel fatherless, “‘Don’t cling to me,’” Jesus said, ‘for I haven’t yet ascended to the Father. But go find my brothers and tell them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God’” (John 20:17).

Jesus gave all of us an open relationship with our Father God.

Thank you, Lord, for giving us fathers through whom we found our Heavenly Father.

(This post is the 2nd in a series of  blogs leading to Father's Day in gratitude to our heavenly Father for the grace of dads in our midst.)

No comments: