5/16/2010

Honorable Mention

I have always been a fan of Rina Jimenez-David, who regularly writes about women and other pressing issues in her column "At Large" with the Philippine Daily Inquirer. You'll most likely hear thousands of other readers say the same thing.

In one survey among the youth and yuppies, she ranked as the most-read opinion writer in the country.

I believe it's because she walks her talk. She is actively involved in organizations which promote the rights and health of Filipino women and children. The awards for her leadership and written works are many.

I met Rina personally once, long ago, in one of those noisy advertising functions where people said "Hi" and "Good-bye." I doubted whether she'd remember me if ever we bumped into each other again.

But months later, she briefly reviewed a chapter (on marital relationship) of my book, "Gifts of Grace" Book 1 in her column. That took me by surprise. To this day, I call it my honorable mention—for it is such an honor to be mentioned by a lady whose readers are legion.

Again, one Sunday last month, she gave my latest book, "Flying on Broken Wings," another honorable mention (let me also call it grace in black and white). My cellphone almost burst that day, and the day after, with text messages from friends who had read her column.

This honorable mention advanced the cause of People with Disability (PWD) about and for whom I wrote the book; it brought to the fore the need for society to take notice of this marginalized group that needs laws and attention to make them enjoy the same rights able-bodied people enjoy.

Rina, thank you.

No comments: