6/18/2010

Pages of a Magazine

What am I doing in two pages of Working Mom, a glossy magazine? (May 2010 issue)

"Behind the scenes" is a place I enjoy and would rather be. I took up Theater Arts, major in directing. I was in the creative department all my years in advertising. On the side, I wrote articles for newspapers and magazines. In all these roles, I was never in front of the audience nor the camera.

Now, what would make me do a turnabout?

I got a phone call from the editor saying excitedly that I was going to be featured as one unusual mom, doing unusual things. That got me thinking for a second. Today, I am mostly writing books, and occasionally teaching in college. What is so unusual about that?

Well, she explained, it was the transition from then to now. I got out of a glamorous career and decided to do something so different it begged for a totally different lifestyle (or the lack of it, as I now work at home sans make-up and power clothes).

I said okay (it seemed like a perfect venue to talk about my books), and forgot all about it.

Then one day, the doorbell rang. From a huge van came down four people. They turned out to be a writer (to do the interview), a photographer (to make me say "cheese"), a make-up artist (to do me over), and an all-around production assistant (PA). They were all sincerely nice and extremely efficient.

"Do whatever you have to do," I said, making it easy for them. I had worked with prima donnas and I know all about reining in one's rage.

The PA turned my house and garden upside down. The photographer plugged in all his huge lighting gadgets and chose my outfits. The make-up artist slapped and splashed goo and gunk all over my eyes, nose, cheeks, chin. All this happened simultaneously while the writer asked me questions, the answers to which I had to dig in my mind since they happened a hundred years ago.

They made all the decisions with nary a peep from me. If I were still behind the scenes and I had to feature someone like docile me, it would be a dream. I wanted it to be a dream for this magazine team.

Maybe it was. Everything was done their way in a record one hour, including snacks and tete-a-tete.Three months later, I got a text message from the editor saying the issue was out in the stands. I also got dozens of text messages from friends saying they had read the feature, entitled "Amazing Grace," at their beauty parlors. When I got my copy, I gasped.

JR said my photos look like Vicky Belo did a major work on me.

Manang Vi laughed, "Those look like someone else!"

"Who?" I needed to know.

"Anybody but you."

Now you know why "behind the scenes" is where I should stay.

(Seriously, this lighthearted post should not in any way diminish the admirable work the Working Mom team put in—the two-page article made me look better than I think I am—and the grace I received, and continue to receive, through these magazine pages.) 

2 comments:

Yay Padua-Olmedo said...

Wow, Grace, haven't got a copy yet of the magazine but will remember to get get one when I goto the mall. How appropriate, Amazing Grace! Congrats!

Grace D. Chong said...

See you Wednesday and then we can go to the mall--to eat. and have coffee?