9/05/2010

She Enjoyed the Sunset


Evelyn Miranda-Feliciano was like a light from afar—among the women in the church where I grew up.

My mother, who was an active member of the women's group, would often encourage holding seminars on love and courtship for the younger members. And always, the seminar conducted for several sessions at different times, would be based on Evelyn's book with the same title. These women were in awe of Evelyn as God's anointed authority on the subject.

That was how Evelyn figured in my mind for years—a well-loved and respected author on man-woman relationship. Until one day, the light from afar flashed right before my eyes . . .

Omflit had just published my first book and I was invited to join the OMFLit corporation meeting. Evelyn was there as one of the members of the board of trustees. The love-and-courtship lady herself! I gushed silently.

Evelyn had many other books published by then, on many other issues, but that book loved by the women in my home church remained a bestseller for many years.

Now in the same milieu of Christian literature, I'd cross paths with Evelyn often—conferences, trainers seminars, and board meetings.

When her book, Enjoy the Sunset: Living Fully, Ageing Well was launched in Cebu, I was privileged to be her roommate in a hotel where we were billeted for two days and two nights. Together, we guested the "She Day" and talked about our experiences as authors.

I got to know her up close and as a newbie in writing, I was blessed with a ringside view of her wisdom. Over meals and before bedtime, we had all the time to talk and talk, mostly about God's grace in both our lives.

She told me about her near-fatal stroke in Cambodia two years earlier. She went into a coma for a couple of days, but after some weeks of rest and medication, she was back to her old self. "This is my second life. God wants me to enjoy the sunset."

Those were not her exact words but by the way she talked, she made me feel and see the joy of working for God even, or specially, in one's senior years.

She continued to write . . . and write . . . and had two more books written (one with Senator Salonga, to be launched at the book fair; and another one to be launched early next year). Then, while busy on the fourth chapter of another book, she was summoned home. The Lord said, "Enough; come."

And she went, due to another stroke—after two weeks in the hospital and two weeks at home, plenty enough time to text friends and loved ones about how, despite the indescribable pain, she was basking in God's presence and peace.

Evelyn's light on earth flashed, and will continue to sparkle on many more readers, inspiring them to embrace life, and when the time comes, to enjoy the sunset.

Evelyn, thank you.

12 comments:

Marlene Legaspi-Munar said...

Ate Evelyn has been an inspiration to me as well. I have been privileged to spend a week with her in a live-in writing workshop years ago and from time to time we see each other in book launching and conferences. I will remember her graciousness and words of wisdom.

Anonymous said...

Dearest Ms. Grace,

As I went over your beautiful reflections with Tita Evelyn(she was like an aunt to me and to my husband, since her nephew was with us in the same singing group, the New Covenant Singers),I couldn't help but really cry with my whole heart and spirit as each word of remembrance of Tita Evelyn was greatly written of in your piece. Thank you for capturing in your words the wonderful character, spirit and soul of a woman who was really after God's own heart. Your blessings of these reconnections with Tita Evelyn made us embrace and see the beauty of this marvelous lady. And with her magnanimity in the faith, has touched lives like you and me. And I have even seen her light shine in your life, as well. Thank you Ms. Grace for speaking so dearly and sweetly of Tita Evelyn- a phenomenal woman that we can all follow for the greater Glory of God. Bless her soul and may her blessings continue to lead to the Lord.
Again, my sincerest gratitude Ms. Grace,
Melody Remorca

Tribo said...

I remember one time when she was in Cebu and I interviewed her in Marriott, I was like in awe of her. I honestly didn't want to stop our conversation because she had so many wonderful insights.

She was such a beautiful soul with a special space for OFWs in her heart.

We are so blessed to have her.

For all the insights she shared of life and living, she will always be remembered.

Yay Padua-Olmedo said...

That's what's so wonderful about being a writer. She may not have been around longer but her heart will continue to linger through her writings. Life well spent!

Grace D. Chong said...

Hi, Marlene! What a blessed writing life she led. May you and me, and all those in CWF, follow her footsteps.

Grace D. Chong said...

Melody, how nice to hear from you on "Leaves of Grace!" Evelyn was a woman of great faith. I am sure her books will lead others to our Source of light.

Grace D. Chong said...

Yay! My life as a writer has been made richer because of her and her books. By the way,congratulations on your second book!

bong said...

She was the wedding godmother I never saw on that memorable day. Allow me to explain. As a young writer-journalist in the early 80s, Ate Evelyn was the second mom you always wanted to have: warm, encouraging, passionate; someone you could spill your guts out. Thanks to Josil Gonzales, who was writer-editor of the unique evangelical magazine "Sidestreets" then before becoming the OMF Lit publications director, we were privileged to meet this awesome, charming woman. She was a regular fixture at the Christian Writers Fellowship, which we were a part of during those salad years. When we went through a family crisis with the death of my own mother, who died at the ripe age of 52 of breast cancer, her comforting presence, not her words, was one of the things that helped us during those dark days.
Lost touch with Ate Evelyn during our stint in Saudi Arabia. But when I decided to settle down in 1992, she was among the first ones I thought would be a fitting ninang at my wedding.
Only belatedly did we learn just a few days before our nuptials that Ate Evelyn had suffered her first stroke and would not be able to come. We got to talk by cell phone, however, and for me and my wife that was enough.
And yet, after that first brush with death, she would not be cowed and continued to write.
Last time we talked was about two years ago, promising to visit her small farm in Silang, Cavite. Sadly, I never did, owing to family and professional commitments that took up our time.
I learned of her death from a mutual friend only after she was cremated.
Still, I consider her our "Ninang" and truly feel privileged to have shared a small part of her formidable and impressive life.

Grace D. Chong said...

Thank you so much, Bong, for sharing your memories of Evelyn. She was a beautiful woman of God who inspired others just by her presence. You are blessed to have her as your "godmother."

bong said...

Indeed we all are blessed by her in this life and the one to come. Thank you for posting my small tribute to Ate Evelyn.

Cheers!

Grace D. Chong said...

Cheers, Bong!

Anonymous said...

I remember one time when she was in Cebu and I interviewed her in Marriott, I was like in awe of her. I honestly didn't want to stop our conversation because she had so many wonderful insights.

She was such a beautiful soul with a special space for OFWs in her heart.

We are so blessed to have her.

For all the insights she shared of life and living, she will always be remembered.

Tribo