9/27/2011

More Great Grace

It takes more than one blog post to write all about the grace that inundated the Book Fair. So here's another one.

Day 3: OMFLit booth
Day 4: DZAS booth
A lady with three sets of Gifts of Grace (books 1, 2, and 3) said, "You don't have to write any message on these books.  I just need your signature."

"Early Christmas shopping!" I exclaimed.

"No-occasion shopping!" she replied. "I have already lost several sets—well, not lost, really.  I lent them to friends and they asked if they could keep them."

"Oh."

"I am buying three sets now, anticipating more borrowers," she laughed.

"You're very generous," I said.

"God never scrimps on His grace. We can never duplicate that, but we can try—in our own small way," she replied, then took her newly signed books to the cashier.

Before I could recover, a young man in a tie asked me to sign a copy of Solo Flight.

"Gift for a sister or . . . an aunt?"

"Gift for my girlfriend. I want her to know all the angles of singleness before I ask her to marry me. She has to be very, very sure before saying yes.

I ached to say a rejoinder about his thoughtfulness, but a young mom carrying a toddler and looking troubled cut in and and asked, "Ms. Grace, do you have any book on losing a father?"

"Oh, not a book, no. But I may have an entry in Super Devos (365 devotions for energized kids) that speaks of losing a loved one."

"I lost my husband last year and my seven-year-old son can't seem to cope. Daytime is no problem; he has many distractions.  But when he goes to bed at night, he cries."

I cupped her hand for lack of words. "Maybe I should write about that issue sometime soon," I wished aloud.

She hurriedly left and when she came back, she had with her a copy of Super Devos. “Will you sign it? I will read this with him whenever he goes to bed at night.”

I wrote on the first page:

Dear Joseph,

God, our heavenly Father loves you and watches over you every moment. Your dad can't  not be with you anymore, but Jesus can.  In fact, your father and Father God are together in heaven. From that wonderful place, God feels everything you feel and He knows your every need.  Talk to Him every night and trust Him to make things right for you."


"Ms. Grace," the lady said after reading what I had written, "you just made me very happy!"

The bright look on her face was grace so great my eyes pooled.

In celebration, I am changing my header:
 

A new one takes its place:    

8 comments:

Ryan Rotor said...

it takes great grace to make someone else truly happy! =)

Grace D. Chong said...

Spoken like an old, wise man, Ryan! You constantly amaze!

Ryan Rotor said...

Jesus gets the credit. We are having one-on-one lessons about grace lately hehe

Grace D. Chong said...

Hey, that's great! Our Sunday School lesson is likewise on grace. Hope to learn all its rich dimensions.

Anonymous said...

i haven't enjoyed reading other blogs as much as i did yours. i guess being a writer gives you that natural flair to hold the readers' attention long enough and keep reading post after post. my eldest of 3 boys is in dlsu. i hope his teachers are like you in making the extra effort to keep the learning process more interesting..

Anonymous said...

M-A-G-N-I-F-I-C-E-N-T!!! Your site is beautiful, holding clear images which gave your site a fresh feel that is off the hook. Your color schemes works well with the text. Wish your business journey the best

Grace D. Chong said...

Thank you for your inspiring comments about my blog. As a blogger and a teacher, I listen to readers like you and try hard to improve on what I do.

Grace D. Chong said...

Dear anonymous,

I am glad you like bright colors as I do. I have always believed that they bring sunshine to the storms of our lives!