7/01/2014

Cheerio

Do you know someone blessed with a cheerful disposition? I do.

Lorelie (not her real name) always seems to be happy, wearing what I call a “toothpaste smile” under all circumstances—even after she lost her mom. Her mood is so infectious that whenever I feel low, I invite her to a cup of coffee and before the hour ends, my mood shifts to hers. Indeed, she is a smiling spout of grace! 

In contrast, there are others who seem to be chronically off-mood. They perpetually complain about people, life, and burdens in general. They, too, are infectious.

Joy is one of the gifts Jesus promised to His followers before he ascended to heaven. “So you have sorrow now, but I will see you again; then you will rejoice, and no one can rob you of that joy” (John 16:22).

When we are on the verge of being testy or grouchy, let’s seek out a Lorelie (or be a Lorelie) and remember that to reflect the joy we have in Christ, we must begin by showing a joyful demeanor and spread cheer.

2 comments:

Yay Padua-Olmedo said...

So true, being a grouch or a complainer or whiner infects. Gotta zip this tongue! Calling Lorelei!

Grace D. Chong said...

I have been trying to be a Lorelei all my life. Someday, when I grow up . . .