12/07/2019

Imelda

This is not about that notoriously infamous Imelda, whose name often appears in crossword puzzles with clues such as: Ostentatious Philippine first lady;  or, Philippine first lady with 2,000 pairs of shoes; or, Flamboyant wife of ousted Philippine dictator. 

Not that Imelda.

This is about one of the hundreds of unimportant Imeldas who were born and named after that Imelda who beguiled the land with her beauty, wardrobe, opulence, and power that spawned epic events.

This less than inconsequential Imelda is my masseuse, whom I visit once or twice a month.

Since I was disabled by my grasping toes that restrict me to inert activities, this Imelda has been one from whom I seek help. She works at Vibes Massage in the mall. It is not your spa-spiffy, dimly-lit kind of place. It is small, spartan, with no fancy amenities. And all the masseurs and masseuses are blind.

(VIBES stands for Visually Impaired's Brotherhood for Excellent Service.)

This Imelda, who hides her eyes behind huge shades, has healing hands. In the absence of sight, she is a master of touch.

She can feel which part of my spine and right foot ache; she has an uncanny talent for releasing knots. After an hour, my aching toes get a reprieve.   

During the hour, we have sporadic chats.

“We are poor,” she said. “My pay helps with our household expenses . . . we had no resources to continue with my schooling.” 

“I am a book author,” I replied when asked what I do. 

“Oh, wow! I wish I could read your books, but . . .”

“I know,” I whispered, hiding the catch in my throat.

“My mother named me Imelda because the first Lady had everything, and we had nothing. So maybe, if we had the same name, I might . . .” she laughed.

The rates at Vibes Massage are loose change compared to what you pay in a luxurious spa. But the rub down is therapeutic. More than enough reason to leave a well-deserved tip that far exceeds the official rate. 

The name Imelda has ceased to conjure, for me, unsavory thoughts. It now evokes all synonyms of honest living and grace.

2 comments:

Yay Padua-Olmedo said...

We're blessed with people like Imelda who labor faithfully in spite of their circumstances. How inspiring! May their team be blessed with faithful clients who will go to Vibes not only out of compassion but also because they will experience excellent service and grace. Relief indeed for curly toes. Be well, Grace.

Grace D. Chong said...

Vibes is my go-to place these days. I hope people continue to support it. Excellent service indeed!