8/03/2020

Books of Grace

Social media have been with us for a number of years, yet I still don’t know how to use them effectively to communicate with fellow netizens. Or perhaps my brain still could not assimilate their reach and power. 

My sons (who coerced me into blogging over 13 years ago) had been nagging me to create a page for my books and reading in general. 

Son #1: Mom, you have a variety of too many friends on your FB timeline: family, friends, acquaintances, and readers. Your posts are just as varied. You need to have a separate page for books, so your messages can be more focused."

Son#2: There is hardly any advertising or promotions for your books, how will readers know about them? 

“They’re in book stores,” I argued. 

Chorus: Mom, how many people go to bookstores? Only you and us, and book worms—we are not very many.  

Chorus: Mom, writing books is useless unless you have readers. 

Okay. 

This gave birth to “Books of Grace,” a page on Facebook. I considered no other name, since I write about grace and my name happens to be, yes, Grace. 

I thought my job had ended with doing the design, but . . . well, if you happen to run a page,  you know how much energy and time it entails. You need to reply to queries and keep looking for something newsworthy to engage your readers. 

It has not been easy, but it has been fun. 

There I meet fellow book lovers and get a feel of how they react to my books and reading in general. Their messages and responses guide me in writing the next one. 

If you are on FB, please consider dropping by “Books of Grace” and leave a message. Nothing delights me more than meeting and conversing kindred spirits.  

2 comments:

Rita A. Gomez said...

The book of Grace is a great idea. Your sons are right, there should be focus on the topic. I myself, ( though, I'm not like you, not a multi-awarded author but I realized that having a choice topic for a blog is important to encourage reader to follow. A diversified blog topics can't get a group engaged. While I can't do that now, however, you have so much to share. I'm sure this will turn out well. Good luck and please know that I'm your fan.

Grace D. Chong said...

Hi, Rita! It's a bit difficult for me to do these digital thingies. But as they say, "Never say die." Thank you so much for your kind words. Let's continue writing!