4/28/2022

PINK Flowers Around My Heart

Two years ago, the Lord took Minna, my best cousin forever (BCF), home. I knew she was going to that eternal place where everything is beautiful, safe, and trouble-free. There, she could have endless conversations with our Saviour face-to-face.  

But her loved ones still grieved. 

I grieved, not only because I will never ever have those fun times with her again, but because she was so far away, and it was impossible for me to see her one last time to say goodbye. 

And so two years later we continue to grieve. 

“The Lord never really takes away the grief,” a dear friend, who recently lost a loved one, messaged me. “He just surrounds our heart with flowers.” 

I replied to ease his pain, “In my case, those flowers are PINK.” 

He messaged back, “Ha-ha-ha!” 

Minna would have readily caught the joke. If she were here, she'd know why I am so invested in PINK these political-campaign days, and she'd have a sharp repartee.  

Sharp. That’s one of the hundreds of adjectives I used to describe her. She was a genius in accounting, a distinguished executive in a big bank in New York, a writer and poet. In 1984, she penned this poem. 

On Earth, we all have fears on many different levels, especially when we are at the crossroads and fall into the valley. But we have been promised grace . . .  

“God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging.” (Psalm 46:1-3 NIV)

BCF, I miss you. 

No comments: