7/28/2022

In His Book

“Am I in your book?” asked one little boy in one of my book-signing events.  

“Well, your name is not in this book, but I am sure you will know that the obedient and delightful little boy I wrote about is just like you,” I replied, hoping he’d be satisfied with my answer. 

But he pressed on. “But when will my name be in your book?” 

“In my next book, promise, I will name one of the characters Dante.”    

“Yey!” He cheered, took his signed book and his dad’s hand, and skipped away. 

And so Dante is the name of the major character in Twin Blessings.

I never saw Dante again, but if ever he chances upon that book, he would remember my promise.  

ooo

That very same question was asked by the preacher in his message in one virtual worship service.   

“Are you in God’s book? Am I?” 

He then read what Scripture says, emphasizing every word:  

Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed.
And in Your book they all were written,
The days fashioned for me,
When as yet there were none of them. 
(Psalm 139:16 NKJV) 

More than amazing! I’ve read that verse many times before and I never looked at it the way I did that morning. I shouted in my mind, I am in God’s book!  
Long before I was formed, God had me in mind. He had written my name in His book. And I didn’t have to request Him. 

The pastor explained further God’s promise: anyone who believes in God, in the redemptive grace of His Son Jesus, and in His Holy Spirit is in His book. 

What a reassurance, especially at this time of pandemic confusion and commotion and this politics of disunity and disharmony.    

He asked one other question before he ended his message: “Will you turn your thoughts to the God who turns His thoughts to you?”  

*

No comments: