11/19/2022

What’s Up, November?

To the delight of children’s book authors, the Department of Education (then headed by Secretary Armin Luistro) in 2011 declared, as one of its programs, November as National Reading Month. It is to promote the love for reading among school children. 

The celebration of Reading Month focuses on both reading and reading comprehension. This has been my advocacy from day one of my writing journey.  So the Reading Month, which I actually consider  a ministry, is grace beyond telling. 

November is one of my busiest months, because all schools hold reading/book events and I am privileged be invited to quite a few of them. 

This month is no exception. Because of the continuing threat of Covid-19, however, book events are still online. The upside is, from the comforts of my working nook, I can actually attend them all.  

One that particularly charmed me was an invitation from my hometown, the setting of 16 of my books (Oh, Mateo! series). The Umingan National High School has a worthy Project called: Reading H.A.B.I.T. (Hold a Book; Be in Touch). They go out to the community and establish reading hubs for younger children. 

In all my book talks, I stress the importance of reading. But I do not have the luxury of time to explain its endless rewards and benefits. 

That’s why this cartoon, which I downloaded years ago, caught my eye. It explains in images, with simple and sparse words, the bountiful blessings one is flooded with from reading. 

Happy reading month! 

No comments: