4/23/2023

Recluse No More

For three years since the pandemic began, I had been a recluse by choice. I didn’t want to risk it—with the coronavirus haunting us. Tony has co-morbidities that I didn’t want to compromise. Except for one family reunion of about 13 people in an Airbnb  on Christmas, I attended church online and taught Sunday School online as well. 

Now that the health protocols have slackened, with many people no longer apprehended for not wearing masks, I decided to attend the opening of the art exhibit of a dear friend and former colleague, Caloy. 

It was like breaking a three-year fast. 

One other friend suggested that we meet up on that same date, at an earlier hour, to “launch” my book, “Teacher in Me” (written at the height of the pandemic and published by CSM Publishing), among close friends within the area. 

I prepared early, making sure I had a signed copy for everyone.  

And so it happened! We met at Jaeu, a Japanese-European resto in the mall. It was fun, nostalgic, and heartwarming: a grace gathering I wouldn't miss for the world.  

We reminisced, ate, laughed, cried a little, and exchanged gifts through a raffle. 

Then we headed to Metanoia, Caloy’s exquisite art exhibit. More chit-chats, reminiscing, and re-connecting, frozen for posterity in my heart and in these photos: 

Someone once said, friends make us laugh a lttle harder, cry a little less, and smile a lot more.  Indeed! And if I may add . . . they break you loose from being a recluse. 

No comments: