4/07/2024

The 3 R’s

At the university where I took up my communications degree, I had to sink or swim. The professors didn’t care whether students failed or passed. 

However, at the university where I teach part-time today, our caring dean requires the faculty members to meet with students at risk—those in danger of failing for whatever reason. He encourages every professor to devise his own early intervention program to help these students make the grade. 

I have adapted the three R’s, which I learned from our Bible study group: Rebuke, Remind, and Redeem.

Bringing back a truant student to where he should be is like bringing back a backsliding believer to Jesus.   

1. Rebuke is to correct. I reprimand them about their failings and violations. “Joyful are those you discipline, Lord, those you teach with your instructions.” (Psalm 94:12 NLT)

2. Remind is to prompt. I detail their responsibilities as students and their obligations to their parents who work hard to finance their education. “If you are faithful in little things, you will be faithful in large ones. But if you are dishonest in little things, you won’t be honest with greater responsibilities.” (Luke 16:10) 

3. Redeem is to pay the price for someone’s freedom. I tell them that my neck is on the line. They either shape up or I ship out (very tactfully, with well-chosen words, of course). “I have swept away your sins like a cloud. I have scattered your offenses like the morning mist. Oh, return to me, for I have paid the price to set you free.” (Isaiah 44:22)

The three R’s are about emulating Jesus in performing our roles in our careers and ministries. Apostle Paul wrote, “. . . you should imitate me, just as I imitate Christ.” (1 Corinthians 11:1)

Caveat: Students are a captive audience; they are under the teacher's care. How about backsliding faith brethren? How are we to do the three R's? Here's where we need gobs and gobs of grace to guide us.   

No comments: