9/13/2024

No Writer’s Block, No Dead Air

“How do you deal with writer’s block?”  I was asked on air, during a live interview by the hosts of Straight from the Word on Light TV – God’s Channel of Blessings (Channel 33). 

It’s a question that pops up in all my book events.

Those who know me well (and kindred spirits whose passion is writing) know my predictable answer, “I don’t. I don’t believe in writer’s block.” 

“Huh?” is the usual response. 

Writing is not only when we have pen and paper on hand, or when we are poised to type on our keyboard. It is a constant mind-and-heart activity.  It happens in all our waking hours, often in our sleep, too. Ideas continuously buzz in our head and thump in our heart. So the paper does not stay blank or the keyboard does not stay idle once we decide to record those buzzes and thumps. 

“Oh, so no writer’s block! Exactly like no dead air,” Sis Sarah, the female host exclaimed. 

On point. I know how dead air can be deadly (long ago, I was a radio host, too). It could cause a listener to tune off and advertizers to tune out. 

I am grateful to Light TV for inviting me to talk about my thoughts on writing and for promoting my new book, Everyday Grace for Kids. Even if only one of the over 3k listeners had been encouraged to write for the Lord, it is grace beyond measure. I pray that many young people would join the ministry of writing for readers to meet our Savior.  

No comments: