3/11/2008

Walking in the Rain

Unless I am out of town, I wake up at five in the morning to walk. Nothing stops me from this daily one-hour exercise. Not even rain.

After quickly donning my rubber shoes, walking shirt and pants—I grab an umbrella.

How refreshing it is to walk in the rain! Dust, dirt and grime are washed away while the rain drums on my rain shield and my socks get soaked. And everything (the street, trees, flowers, leaves, roofs, water tanks, cars parked on open air) is rinsed clean.

There are a few things I miss though: the sound of my footfalls and air conditioning units, water hoses and sprinklers, stray cats (mostly black) and dogs, and the morning greetings of regular walkers. When it rains, everyone stays indoors, except me. Vehicles on the road are suddenly sparse.

There’s a nice, indefinable feeling to being alone, walking in the rain. It seems to be the best time to talk to and thank the Giver of grace and Maker of rain.

4 comments:

Mel Avila Alarilla said...

Hi Grace,
I remember the song- Walking In The Rain. It takes a special breed of people like you to enjoy walking in the rain. Mostly, people don't like the rain since it impedes their normal activities. But I agree with you that there is real beauty in the rain. Could I exchange links with you? I will be linking you with my blog. I hope you do the same with mine. Thanks for the refreshing post. God bless you and your loved ones always.

Grace D. Chong said...

Dear Mel,
Yes, I'd love to exchange links with you. Thanks for visiting!

Petula said...

Sounds very soothing. I don't think I would have ever thought to walk in the rain unless I was just so mad I had to get away. Thanks for sharing that. Even your description of it was very calming.

Grace D. Chong said...

Hi, Petula! Yes, I do love the rain. In fact, I love singing songs with the word "rain" in it. I must have some great memories of rainy events at the back of my mind which I don't remember today.