6/26/2008

No and Nothing

My doctor was more than one hour late. In the clinic’s receiving room, I sat with other patients waiting for their doctors as well. Two yayas (baby sitters) had each a kid about four to five years old who didn't know each other, but had started playing with what seemed like bugs.

Kid 1 (to kid 2): My father works very hard. He helps my mother with all her work at home. How about your dad, does he work?

Kid 2: No.

Kid 1: Your dad doesn’t work?!

Kid 2: No.

Kid 1: Is he looking for work?

Kid 2: No.

Kid 1: What does he do?

Kid 2: Nothing.

A man, dressed in coat and tie and carrying a leather brief case, arrives and hugs kid 2.

Man: Hi, son!

Kid 2: Hi, dad!

Man: Have you seen your doctor?

Kid 2: No.

Man: What have you been doing?

Kid 2: Nothing.

Man: (Sees me gawking; smiles.) My son has two favorite words these days—“no” and “nothing.”

Me: Oh, those are my favorite words today, too.

Earlier, I had in mind to leave and never come back. But no, I didn't. I was sent, just in time, grace to be patient. So what have I been doing while waiting? Nothing.

Well, that’s not exactly true. I got to enjoy listening to two kids talk about “no” and “nothing.”

2 comments:

Petula said...

That was a cute exchange. ... So, were they really playing with bugs? :-)

I really hate waiting for the doctor especially if I have an appointment.

Grace D. Chong said...

Hi, Petula,

I guess doctors are the same anywhere in the wolrd. They sometimes (or in my case, often) come late to their appointments.