8/28/2010

New Eyes

When I say I am a painter, it is more of chutzpah than of talent. My very first painting on canvas elicited these comments:

"Mom, they look like objects from outer space."

"What on earth are they, Mom?"

My life has always been intertwined with visual arts. My school, the Art Institute of Chicago, was a huge art complex. With a student ID, I could go to and from school through a spectacular shortcut route—the museum. Then when I took on a job in advertising as a concept writer, I worked closely with artists.

Unfortunately, one can't be a painter through osmosis.

One slow writing day, I left my computer, bought brushes and paint, and unleashed my energy on canvas. What my children see as creatures from twilight zone are actually lilac bougainvillea, lush and fresh, swaying with the nippy wind.

Painting gave me new eyes. It has made me look at a zillion things to which I never paid enough attention before. Now I see patterns, shadows, shapes, rhythm, rhyme, reason. I see love coming from above.

So how come my handiwork doesn't come close?

Well, you can't expect more from hands made for the keyboard rather than the canvas. And this isn't about being a great painter. This is about new eyes seeing more grace than the old pair ever did.

“To you I lift up my eyes, O You who are enthroned in the heavens.” Psalm 123:1

(The above is an excerpt from my defunct e-column, "Gifts of Grace: the Column," which I suddenly remembered while window shopping for acrylic paints.)

6 comments:

Yay Padua-Olmedo said...

So when's the painting session? Should be soon, before the new term opens. I love this painting by the way!

Grace D. Chong said...

How about Monday next week? I will buy my paints after our lunch with Carol today.

Socky said...

Love what your "new eyes" see. Soon, you'll be illustrating your own books.

Grace D. Chong said...

Hi, Socky!

Alas, what the eyes can see and what the hands can do are two different things. Are you back from your sabbatical? See you around.

Emil said...

Ms Grace.... what does chutzpah means? I often hear this among Americans but didn't bother to ask, as I really don't care about it then ... but when I came across it on your entry, I got amazed again ... sorry for the ignorance, I would rather ask it this time, or forever be thrown to the oblivion of ignorance ...he he he

Grace D. Chong said...

Hi, Emil! Well, Americans may say it's nerve or gall, but a Filipino equivalent best defines it: "kapal muks!" LOL