3/23/2011

Heaven's Corner

Somewhere in Baguio City is Heaven's Corner—a cozy place where one can commune with God or with the people He has assigned to write about Him.  With a flip of a page, here and there, you could read all about His grace and His mighty acts in many books.

Heaven's Corner is a Christian bookstore that opened its second branch on Saturday at SM.  It was the reason I went up to Baguio where I enjoyed the cool air that doesn't come from consoles powered by electricity but from nature powered by the Almighty.

In the short dedication ceremony, the pastor reminded us that Heaven's Corner is a blessing from God, who is the Source of all good gifts.  It must therefore exist to honor and give glory to Him.  We do not own anything, we are simply caretakers of any business He entrusts to us.

We prayed that every reader who enters the place may likewise be blessed by Him.


A kiddie show followed.  Teacher Cynthia, owner (rather, caretaker of God's bookstore), read “Half and Half” to the children gathered there.  And then, a surprise! Mateo, the puppet, appeared and spoke his lines in the story!

 
Mateo then interviewed me, to the delight of the kids and their parents.  Free books were given away to brave kids who came forward to answer questions and introduce themselves.


For the first time since the “Oh! Mateo” series was launched, four Mateos were in one place all at one time:  Mateo, the puppet, traveled all the way from Manila in the OMF van; my nephew Mateo who inspires the adventures of Mateo, the book hero; my brother from whom my nephew got his name; and then  my late father, the original Mateo, who was very much in my mind that day.  

The event had the same scenes that are re-enacted in many places in the country —wide-eyed kids lined up for their books to be signed, parents assisting them in the process, 'hellos' from new friends introducing themselves, and the OMFLit staff making sure everything is done in clockwork precision. 

But there was something awe-inspiring about the idea of a corner in heaven. 

In my imagination, it's an airy place with clean, crisp wind caressing your cheeks as you converge with the little children Jesus loves; and in the same tableau are parents standing in the periphery, grateful for being chosen to play important roles in these children's lives.

Oh, in heaven's corner—how awesome it would be to there someday!

8 comments:

Ric Robin Paderes Cagnaan said...

Hello Grace. My name is Ric Robin Cagnaan, so you see, I love story books. I have there Teo's Trash Can, The Growling Tummy, All Abroad With Five Lolas, The Secret Ingredient, Teo's Cockatoo, and Big Brother.

Cynthia said...

It was a pleasure to have you around Ma'am Grace. another milestone, another test of faith for Heaven's Corner to open a branch in Sm. Here's looking forward to more events to come.

Grace D. Chong said...

Hi, Ric Robin! I am honored that you are reading some of my storybooks. Thanks a lot!

Grace D. Chong said...

Dear Teacher Cynthia,

I am with you in prayers for the Lord to prosper His bookstore. Hope to partner with you again sometime. Thank you for the hospitality.

Yay Padua-Olmedo said...

Grace, Joaqui has repeatedly read your books. I pray for more Grace books to tickle the minds and hearts of young believers.

Grace D. Chong said...

Please hug Joaqui for me!

Jez said...

I travel to Baguio every Saturday for my MA class. It amazes me how I still get giddy about visiting this bookstore every weekend. Thank you, Ma'am Cynthia, for bringing it there! :)

Grace D. Chong said...

I was privileged to have been there when it opened. May "Heaven's Corner" be visited by more and more book lovers like you, not only on weekends but every weekday! God bless and thank you for visiting my blogsite.