8/29/2014

I Forgot

Forgetfulness is the domain of the elderly, or so I thought. The world has believed that when one grows older, his neurons lose their agility and therefore the ability to recall things progressively wanes as well.

This couldn't be farther from the truth.

Being with millennials twice a week (my teaching schedule in a university), I am convinced that college girls and boys are just as forgetful, or worse.

Every session when I ask for their assignments or requirements, half of the class says, "I forgot."

This also holds true with lectures and instructions. After eloquently and jauntily explaining a lesson or two, I try to fish for some feedback by asking questions. I get any of the following: the look of nothing; a sheepish smile; a scratch of the head; a knitted brow; a challenging glare; and many more  versions of "I forgot."

So fellow seniors, don't despair. Forgetfulness is not about age.

Try giving instructions to a 17-year-old and ask him to echo it back to you. He'll give you that glazed stare that blatantly says, "I forgot."

Let's worry not about becoming forgetful as we move farther down the horizon. Let's bask in the grace of our growing years. There are multitudes of millennials out there whose neurons are attuned elsewhere and quick to command their vocal chords to say, "I forgot."

"Wisdom is with aged men, With long life is understanding." Job 12:12 (NASB)

No comments: