4/03/2019

Online Grace (3): Dream Degree in Situ

It was not too long ago when one had to leave the comforts of home and travel to a university where her dream degree was offered.

Back then, schools had specializations. Meaning, one school was known for its excellent engineering degrees and another would be known for humanities.

I had always wanted a degree in creative writing, but there was no university (at least a bus ride away) that offered such course. I’d have had to go abroad to find that dream course (which was out of the family budget), so I ended up in a state university offering a course that had one or two subjects requiring creative writing.

Today, online learning enables anyone to take any course she wants from any place in the world that offers her choice degree. 

Long-distance traveling for a diploma is a thing of the past. You can take your degree in situ—at your own time and place.

Out of curiosity, I googled  “online creative writing” and voila, I got a long list of schools and programs that offer it in various timelines and permutations. Had I been born in this digital age . . . well, I am sure you catch my drift.

This is just one of the many great things the Internet provides you and me. On the flip side . . . well, you won’t go up the stage wearing a cap. And you will receive your diploma flat, instead of rolled, sent to you via courier or snail mail in an envelope.

No comments: