4/08/2019

Beyond the Awards

Immediately after the announcement of winners of the Gawad Pambansang Alagad ni Francisco Balagtas* award,  the publisher of my children’s books, Hiyas (an imprint of OMF Lit), posted this on my FB page:

Just as immediately, friends wrote me congratulatory greetings in response to the announcement.

When people dear to you rejoice over such a recognition, your heart bubbles over with delight. I was leisurely reading and relishing each and every message, when one stopped me in my tracks:

Congratulations po! I've been your reader since 2009 and I grew up with Mateo Series~ I'm now a Language and Literature student and I would like to pursue a children's literature thesis. This is all thanks to you, Ma’am Grace, who inspired me with your books.

She’s been reading my books for ten years? And now she wants to write a thesis on children’s literature?

What an encouragement! More than awards like the above, narratives such as this make me profoundly grateful that I made children’s literature a a big chunk of my writing life.

*This annual institutional award is given out by UMPIL (Unyon ng mga Manunulat sa Pilipinas), Writers Union of the Philippines. It will be awarded at the 45th National Writers Congress and the 32nd Gawad Pambansang Alagad ni Francisco Balagtas at the Cultural Center of the Philippines, Pasay City this month of April.  

No comments: