1/13/2020

Choosing Christmas Gifts

"Choosing what gifts to wrap for friends, family, and associates is always a struggle for me,” my friend C whined. “Some already have everything and some may not like or use what I think they need.”

My reply, “Choosing gifts has never been my problem since the year 2000. I give books, nothing but books.”

“You’ve been doing it for 19 years?!” she was skeptical.

“Yup, since my first book was published.”

She had this look that seemed to say, You’re sure they like your book? 

Reading her mind, I said, “Whether they like it or not is not what matters. Items bought from a store may or may not be liked or used either. In my heart, what I give is all of myself—I spent days and nights for months (sometimes years) knitting the words in them together. They’re a gift of love.” 

So last Christmas 2019, I gave my books again as gifts to the needy children at the Rotaract party, organized by some of my college students. (An aside: with our embarrassing showing in the PISA report as the Southeast Asian country at the bottom of reading comprehension, I hope reading these books will help in some way.)

My hubby likewise gave my books as presents to the indigent children in a party organized by  his Rotary Club chapter. In this event, I am sure that at least one of them likes her gift. Tony said she took to the book immediately, and ignored all her other gifts. 

For family, friends, and associate, can you guess what I wrapped in one note?

“What Christmas gifts to wrap?” This question I never ask myself. Books are all I have. Books are all I am. Because my books are all about the Grace birthed on Christmas Day. 

No comments: