12/30/2021

One Child at a Time

"Releasing Children From Poverty in Jesus' Name"

This first line in the Compassion International (CI) brochure so moved me, I tearfully prayed, In however way I could serve . . .

The next day, CI's National Director  was accompanied by a friend to ask me a question. Saying "no" was not an option. 

"Would you be willing to be a part of the five-man National Advisory Committee (NACs)?" 

The NACs would screen candidates for the Leadership Development Program (LDP)—CI-sponsored high school graduates entering college. I looked forward to meeting the other four members. As I was already neck-deep in writing value-driven stories for children, this new job would add dimension to my craft. 

"We commit to honor Jesus Christ in all that we do. Jesus is the core of our ministry and his life and teachings shape our programs," read CI's mission. 

Unto Jesus, I worked with four gentlemen of various persuasions for a good six years (2004-2010), documented in dozens of blogs. We'd meet several times a year to screen LDP prospects and help train the chosen ones in congresses. 

This ministry enabled me to write a book on these scholars'
struggles, dreams, and breakthroughs:

Stories of children released from poverty  

Fast forward to 2021 . . . 

I got a call from CI's Angel, inviting me to speak at a gathering of CI alumni

Alumni! The "kids" we helped mentor over 12 years ago! I thought, rejoicing over their  theme, which is the title of one of my books, "Grace under Pressure." 

It was a morning of no pressure, just pure grace, unsullied by pandemic fears. I had a chance to chat with these graduates again, after many years. These once-children-released-from-poverty-in Jesus'-name are now successful professionals in their fields, and are paying it forward by participating in the CI program "Sponsor a Child." 

"Sponsor a Child" is about sharing $38 per month, which translates to life-changing opportunities for poor children to: attend school, afford food and medical care, and be mentored in a safe environment—a local evangelical church where they will get to know Jesus, whose birth Christians the world over are celebrating this month. 

Dear cyber friends, may I invite you to give a life-changing gift to one child in poverty this Christmas?

Here's the link:

No comments: