1/10/2022

I Think, therefore I'm PINK

Cogito, ergo sum is a statement by 17th-century philosopher RenĂ© Descartes in his 1637 Discourse in the Method. It is more familiar to us in its English translation, "I think, therefore I am." 

Simply put, it means, if I am able to think, therefore I exist. Anyone capable of any form of thought exists without any doubt. 

In this context, the English line is being used in reference to the University of the Philippines' (UP) oblation, the iconic statue symbolizing selfless offering of oneself to his country. 

Now, at this crucial time of seriously thinking whom to vote for as our next president, I join the decision to choose PINK, VP Leni's campaign color. After comparing the candidates' performance, achievements, credentials, sincerity, and predisposition to offer oneself selflessly to our country, I think without any tinge of doubt, it should be Leni. 

So I sought out UP alumni, who share my views, by trying to join the "Taga UP for Leni and Kiko" FB group. To be accepted, I had to answer three questions: 

1) Degree and UP campus
2) Why Leni?
3) Write the lyrics following UP naming mahal ____________ (UP hymn in Filipino.) 

Answering the first two was a cinch. But the third . . . well, somewhere between my graduation in the Mesozoic Era and today, the UP English hymn was translated to Filipino. 

I thought, Duh, and quickly typed, "In my time it was UP Beloved." I was tempted to send them a video of me singing at the top of my voice (below), but c'est la vie

U.P. beloved, thou Alma Mater dear
For thee united, our joyful voices hear
Far tho we wander, o'er island yonder
Loyal thy sons we'll ever be
Loyal thy sons we'll ever be.

I narrated that to my UP chat group (all PINK but much younger than I am) and they flooded my wall with laughing emojis. 

To my surprise, the admin of the UP FB page immediately approved my membership. This proves once again that people in UP think—and therefore we are PINK.

I am being facetious, but all kidding aside, thinking is necessary in deciding who could best lead this country from where we are—mired in debt, beholden to China, and bitterly divided, unmindful of good values.  

May these 100 photos help us think PINK. 

"Think over what I say, for the Lord will give you understanding in everything." 2 Timothy 2:7 (ESV) 

No comments: