3/30/2022

Just PINK Happy Thoughts and You’ll fly!

Gasp. Gulp. Gush. 

I had no words for the way the Cheerleaders for Leni/Kiko flew up in the sky during the proclamation rally of the Leni/Kiko Team in Quezon City. Like birds, they soared, and how! 

With mouth agape, I gazed in awe at my computer monitor, remembering the Peter Pan of my youth whose words always make me smile, “Just think happy thoughts and you’ll fly.” 

When I came to, I mused, These kids must be PINKing happy thoughts. Peering closely, my eyes seemed to have glimpsed my niece Dazha among them. She used to be the only reason I'd watch the UAAP Opening Season, where her school’s cheerdance team won the grand prize many times in a row. 

Nah, that was sometime ago, I thought. Dazha has since carved a name for herself at Disneyland and now as a dance instructor. 

But indeed it was Dazha!  She, with 25 other cheerdancers (past and current) from different universities, who used to be fierce competitors, formed the Cheerleaders for Leni. 

“We’re now more than 100 in NCR, Tita,” Dazha said when I finally had a chance to message her. “But there are many, many more all over the country!” 

Gasp. Gulp. Gush. 

“And in addition to Cheerleaders for Leni, there are other groups: Dancers for Leni, Life Events for Leni . . .” 

It was all too much to fathom. But when she uploaded to her FB page a video of about 150 volunteer dancers (hip-hop, ballet, cheer, jazz, contemporary, ballroom) produced by Life Events for Leni and Film Makers for Leni, I was totally  blown away. 


However, the coup de grace that slayed and slew me was the cast of characters; it has no star billing. Every name is written with the same font size. But one name leaped at me: 

Lisa Macuja-Elizalde, a prima Ballerina, who became the first foreign soloist to ever join the Kirov Ballet; Artistic Director and CEO of Ballet Manila; and was the Vice-Chairman of the Philippine UNESCO National Commission.

Such is what’s making this campaign fly. Volunteers ask no favors, no rewards, no special treatment. Like Dazha and all the participants in this magnum opus of a video, we volunteer and PINK happy thoughts for a better tomorrow.  

Without a doubt,  
#SaGobyernongTapatAngatBuhayLahat 

(Under an honest and competent government, everyone will have a better life.)

“Always be joyful.” 1 Thessalonians 5:16 NLT 

Photo credits: All borrowed from the Net

No comments: