3/26/2023

Finest Art in Flight

Every morning, since the pandemic began, Tony and I would spend our time savoring grace on the terrace: read the day’s newspapers and solve their crossword puzzles; read books; discuss about or argue over politics; catnap; review old photo albums; watch Mother Teresa water our garden; and enjoy the sight and sound of many birds. 

These flying marvels come and visit because our house is surrounded with trees. They sway with the branches and chirp our virus fears away. Some hover comfortably above us. 

Perhaps because of the summer heat, we see various migratory birds from cold places. 

“Look! That bird looks unusual,” Tony said one morning, pointing to a stunning work of art in flight, not much bigger than his thumb but with a tail three times its body size! 

I clicked my phone camera and tried to research online what it might be called. 

I had read up on birds before and in fact blogged about their colors, but I could not find the same exact bird in my camera. So I typed "rare birds" and eureka! I found tons of other unusual birds, which took my breath away!  

Sometime ago I also oohed and aahed over rare flowers and blogged about them. It was an underwhelming post, if one were to imagine all of the flowers that God has created. 

Now comes another word-deficient post—on rare birds. Of the over 100 rare birds (from different places in the world) I pored over, I am sharing photos of only 12 for lack of space. 

Each of these birds is a perfect example of the finest of fine arts in flight. Their beauty is indescribable and the reason for their creation is unexplained. 

We can only take a hint (our wisdom for understanding is finite) from Scripture:  

“Then God said . . . ‘Let the skies be filled with birds of every kind.’ So God created . . . every sort of bird—each producing offspring of the same kind. And God saw that it was good. Then God blessed them, saying, ‘Be fruitful and multiply.” (Genesis 1:20-23 NLT) 

Do you know of a bird photographer who has taken the photos of all birds of every kind?   

No comments: