11/12/2023

Joy Overload

That’s what September treated me to. So I was not expecting October to do the same.

But October sprung a surprise. I was invited to the Alliance Christian School and Tutorial Services, Inc. (ACTS) to read one of my books during its Book Month Celebration. I alerted one of my newly-launched big books, “Get ready for your maiden performance!”  

The venue was empty when I got there. The janitor said, “Everyone’s in the parade.” 

Then suddenly, the characters in the classic storybooks I had read as a child entered the venue. Each one held the book from where she/he came to life: Snow white, Bo Peep, Cinderella, Peter Pan, Beauty, Hansel and Gretel, etc. etc. Even the teachers came as the Three Little Pigs and a Wolf. 

Creativity galore, I gushed while my heart applauded. Here is a school where children are readers because they are encouraged to read.  

Then one little girl, Klaer, proudly showed me her book—Lumpia Lane! Not a classic, but one of mine. Dressed like the character in the book, she held a plate with a huge lumpia! Instantly, this leaped to the top of my list of author rewards.

I could not indulge her in a conversation because the program had started and I was called to the stage to read Half and Half. Reading from a BIG book made a big difference. The audience didn’t have to strain their necks to look and listen. 

When I asked for a volunteer to answer my questions, I planned on giving away the big book to the brave one  who might join me on stage. Not one, but five brave kids rushed up! A good thing we had enough copies of Quiet Time with Mateo for prizes. 

The following day, I received photos of the event (more joy).  


Then I read the FB post of Klaer’s dad (even more joy) with this photo caption:  “Klaer representing her Chinese roots with her book Lumpia Lane by her favorite author, Grace D. Chong.” 

No comments: