11/28/2023

Smaller Small World

“Small world!” we say in surprise when we meet someone we know at an unexpected place, or when we discover that we share a friend  or relative with another person. 

“You know him?!” 

Our small world has become even smaller—for me, at least. 

The pandemic, a time for re-boot, shrunk my world further. I realized that the basic essentials are enough to give one joy and contentment.  

The two S’s that used to keep me busy outside the home are accessible through my phone or laptop: socializing and shopping.  

I have reduced my outside activities to only two: church and writing, which are interlinked. After the worship service, I facilitate our women’s Sunday school; and although I write at home, I attend all affairs that have to do with writing, such as this annual corporation meeting (the first onsite meet-up since 2020) of one of my publishers, OMF Literature.  

I paused to pose beside a poster of our just-launched BIG books to savor the outdoor breeze before going up to the boardroom.  

This meeting is a reminder of our book ministry. Most of the attendees are, like me, retired professionals from various businesses, whose wealth of experience enriches the wisdom in running a Christian publishing house, with this core purpose:  

OMF Literature is a movement of Christians who desire to honor God by depending on the Holy Spirit to achieve excellence in proclaiming the Gospel of Jesus Christ, making disciples, equipping Church leaders and promoting spiritual growth primarily among Filipinos in the Philippines and abroad through the effective and righteous management of a publishing and distribution enterprise. 

After four years, I was in the same room again with the CEO (a new one), the old and new officers, the board of trustees, and the members of the corporation. 

In this ministry, the tacit question we ask our readers is, "Do you know Him?" Through literature, we tell of His grace of eternity.  

“Sing to the Lord, all the earth! Tell of his salvation from day to day.” 1 Chronicles 16:23 (ESV) 

No comments: