Research was a must before beginning any work on any idea in advertising. As head of the creative department, I had to attend or participate in qualitative research, one of which was Focus Group Discussion (FGD).
Roughly 12 or 15 people in a closed room with a two-way mirror answered the moderator's questions. Behind the mirror, I’d sit, watch, listen, and take down notes as the participants agreed or disagreed with each other, building ideas in a natural conversation.
FGD explored feelings and thoughts. In the process, I got to know which direction to take creatively.
I inherited this “gene” after I left the workplace. While writing a book, I conduct an FGD—the better to understand the reader.
My newest project is a book for Gen Z’s and Gen Alpha. I had read tons of research data about these generations, but I wanted to conduct an FGD to validate them.
And so I did, among Christian youth.
My purpose was to find out if they still read; what types of literature interest them.
Alas, only a handful read outside of the Bible. The participants were raucous and uninhibited in a wonderful way. I found myself enjoying the fellowship more than the data.
But additional data I now have, and I understand them more than what research results have already revealed. And since the book I am writing is about grace (always!) for their generations, I think I may now have enough material to stand on.
Christian youth are different from those who are not. While both groups share similar pressures and everyday experiences, Christian youth live by specific biblical guidelines because they believe in God, Jesus Christ as Savior, and absolute moral truths from the Bible.
This I believe. I hobnob with them at every church event and Sunday after Sunday.

No comments:
Post a Comment