3/10/2019

Gender Neutral

"How about we stop labeling things as ‘for boys’ or ‘for girls’ and we start enjoying or disliking them solely based on our own preference or on their own merits?"  my friend Ida asked on her FB page

I typed in my reply, "Let's start with devotionals."

My book Grace Found Me: 365 thoughts for busy women came to mind. It is targeted to women, but during the launching at the Manila International Book Fair and in my book tours, men would line up to have me sign their copy. When I asked for whom it was, they replied without missing a beat, "For me." 

  
Later, readers would tell me that their brothers or father or husband are using the book, too. Two young pastors also said they use this devotional for their quiet time. 

What does that say about Ida's post?

Of late, people are disregarding labels in choosing devotionals and books. They buy what they want to read. When my husband recently ran out of books (an overstaying typhoon prevented him from going to the bookstore), he took one of my Jan Karon's Mitford series (he likes thrillers and history books; I prefer real-life fiction and non-fiction) and surprise, surprise, he read it till the end.

Gone are the days when I would mistakenly go inside the men's comfort room and be thoroughly embarrassed. Now both sexes can go inside the toilet in Starbucks and many other joints. 

Going a bit further, in the men's section of a department store, you could find bling-blings, floral shirts, and socks in neon colors, far removed from brown and blue.

Many things are going unisex, too: schools (same uniform for both genders); gyms; fashion; even names. I know of Georges and Alexes who are girls.  And I have friends named Maria and Amy, both men.

But these are mere trappings. They don't really make that much difference if both sexes use them. However, I draw the line on what Scripture says about gender roles.

The Bible has laid out for us the disparate, yet complementary, frameworks of a man and a woman. Christians should live out these designs.

Genesis 1: 27, “God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.”

Of our different roles, ". . . husbands, live with your wives in an understanding way, showing honor to the woman as the weaker vessel, since they are heirs with you of the grace of life, so that your prayers may not be hindered." 1 Peter 3:7 (ESV)

No comments: