3/06/2019

Rash, Rude, and Reckless

Memes, editorials, and blogs are all over the Internet about how our president, Rodrigo Roa Duterte, talks behind the podium and how he freely spews profanities.

Rash? He makes pronouncements minus proofs or thorough thinking. His campaign promises, among others, specified deadlines. “I will solve the drug and traffic problems in six months.” This made all the other presidential candidates look inutile.

“I will ask the Navy to bring me to the nearest point in South China Sea that is tolerable to them and I will ride a jet ski‎. I will carry a flag and when I reach Spratlys, I will erect the Filipino flag. I will tell them [Chinese], fist fight or gun fight?” This reduced every opponent to a ninny.

Rude?  Here are just a few of those remarks (all translated to English):

He cursed Pope Francis: “Pope, you son of a bitch, go home. You’re causing too much traffic. Don’t visit here anymore.”

He slammed the European Union: “Stupid!" He rejected an invitation to visit the bloc’s headquarters in Brussels, Belgium.

He condemned former Chief Justice Maria Lourdes Sereno: “That’s why you really have to go, even back then. You're already stupid, son of a bitch, you keep on saying all sorts of things.”

He belittled, Zeid Ra'ad Al Hussein (UN High Commissioner for Human Rights): “Look, you have a big head but it's empty. There is no gray matter between your ears. It's hollow. It's empty. It cannot even sustain a nutrient for your hair to grow because his hair here is gone.”

He disrespected the Arabs: “Sons of bitches, Arabs, very smelly. They smell really bad.”

He demeaned the Americans, particularly Chelsea Clinton: “So you Americans, Chelsea, be careful because you live in a glass house. I repeat. When President Clinton was fucking Lewinsky, what was your statement or your reaction?”

He insulted priests, "Is there an intelligent priest? They are all stupid. If they aren’t stupid, they wouldn’t enter priesthood. You are a man, but you chose to be a priest. You keep on looking at all the beautiful women that you can’t court. My God."

Not content with mincing humans, he aimed all the way up: “Who is this stupid God? This son of a bitch created something perfect and then you think of an event that would tempt and destroy the quality of your work.” On another occasion, he mocked Jesus, "Your God was nailed on the cross. F**k! How unimpressive, I am God and you will crucify me?! Motherf**er, I'd tell them: 'Lightning, finish all of them. Burn all non-believers.'"

He has gone too far--and farther. How could a president denigrate his position by blaspheming the loving, merciful God who died on the cross for me so I may be saved?

Reckless. All of the above, plus many more, shows the world a head of state who respects no one, with no qualms about hurting anybody, especially the people whom he should serve.

“You are not pro-Duterte?!” asked a faith sister who idolizes the president and glosess over his rudeness and rashness.

“I am pro-anyone who respects my belief in a God who espouses the values I hold dear in Scripture," I replied. 

“Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.” (Ephesians 4:29 ESV) 

Photo credit: cnn.com

No comments: