3/14/2019

The Prune Connection

Plum trees do not grow in tropical countries, which is why we don’t have them in the Philippines. We get their fruits when they’re shriveled and wrinkled—as prunes, in the imported goods section of the supermarket.

Dried prunes are a regular fare for me. Packed with fiber and a powerhouse of vitamins and minerals, including potassium, iron and retinol, they’re grace for a malfunctioning, aging body. 

Plum fruits belong to the genus Prunus of the Rosaceae family, which includes peaches, apricots, and nectarines. They exist in diverse colors and shapes with over 2000 different varieties.

The plums in son #2’s backyard are red and small. And when we were there in the spring, the plum tree was in full bloom.

My research on plums revealed these facts: they are rich in vitamin C and have components with antioxidant qualities. I decided that while in California, I should eat as much as I could. Who knows what oxidants I could get rid of from my body? 

Like Eve, I bit into it. But unlike Eve, I came out with a loud, “Eeewww!”

“What’s wrong, Amah?” asked Adrian, concerned.

“Have a bite,” I said, as Eve said to Adam.

Adrian did and shrieked even louder, “Eeewww!”

It was nothing like the fruit of the tree of knowledge. Plums are the sourest fruit I have ever tasted in my life. “They’re not ripe yet,” I told Adrian, who was geared up to harvest them with me.

“Let’s have my parents taste them when they come home,” he said, with a conspiratorial grin.

“Okay, I’ll keep quiet about the taste,” I agreed.

Hours later, here’s what we heard from the parents, “Eeewww!” “Eeewww!”

Am I glad we get plums as prunes.

No comments: