6/22/2021

A Googolplex of Colors

“What's the color of grace?” a young boy asked, as I signed his books during one Manila International Book Fair. 

Me: Green, that’s my color, my favorite. 

Boy: No, I am not talking about you! I am talking about God’s grace. 

Me: Oh. (long pause) None. No color. It just comes, and we find it . . .

Boy (taking his signed books): Thank you! 

I could have explained, but the next kid in line was asking me another question. 

ooo

We’re on our second year of lockdown due to the coronavirus, and I have been blessed with ample time to use my five senses with no interruptions. 

For one, I’ve been bird watching—both live and online. Many birds visit our garden everyday. Some dawdle to eat orts from our cat and dogs’ plates. They sing lovely tunes. 

The birds online are something else. They leap out of the screen with their grandiose colors.

The first time I saw these mandarin ducks (above) and these other birds (left), I remembered the young boy at the book fair years ago. By now, no thanks to me, he should have discovered that God’s grace is infinitely colored, more than the largest named number to date: googolplex.  

How large is a googolplex? Just write the number one followed by one thousand zeroes. 

These birds' incalculable colors are beyond counting. 

A normal 20/20 vision, according to scientists, can see hundreds of colors. An artist can see quadruple that number. 

And those are just the colors of birds. How about the colors of flowers? And the rest of God’s creation?

Multiply that with the colorful (nothing drab or dull) life we lead with every trial and tribulation that the googolplex of grace see us through. 

Do I need a bigger number to believe there is a God?   

“How many are your works, Lord! In wisdom you made them all; the earth is full of your creatures.” (Psalm 104:24 NIV)

Photo credit: worldatlas.com

No comments: